|Thew loaded with lumber.|
GPS Location: N45° 02.705' W83° 09.205'
Depth: 84 Feet
Wreck Length: 132 Feet Beam: 24 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 206 Cargo: None
Launched: 1884 by H.D. Root at Lorain, Ohio
Wrecked: June 22, 1909
|Boiler, steam drum and engine with collapsed deck.|
Description: The W. P. Thew was one of about 700 19th-century Great Lakes steamers designed to carry forest products like logs, lumber, railroad ties, or shingles. After a 25-year career, Thew was lost in a "hit and run" accident. Just off Thunder Bay Island, the ship was struck in a fog by the 545-foot freighter William Livingston and sent to the bottom. The Livingston didn't stop after the collision. Although the Thew sank quickly, no lives were lost. Today its remains lie splayed out on the bottom with all of the machinery and deck equipment displayed at the site.
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary: Enjoy diving the wrecks of Thunder Bay, but always respect the past. State and federal laws prohibit removing or disturbing artifacts. Future generations are depending on us to leave historic shipwrecks intact. Please take only pictures and leave only bubbles.
The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary maintains seasonal moorings at many shipwreck sites. Available from May to September, the moorings make for safer diving and also protect shipwrecks from anchor damage. Sanctuary regulations require vessels to use moorings when present.