The Old Place Inn has stood on Main Street since the 1870's surviving all of Harrisville's fires. It was built during the lumbering period as a home for Joseph Evans, Alcona County's first sheriff. After his death in 1899, the building was remodeled as the "Cottage Hotel" and managed by Mrs. Evans and her daughter. At 7:00 on a Sunday morning in March of 1934, Arthur Newberry reported serving coffee to John Dillinger. The building was remodeled again and, on July 4, 1947, was reopened as "The Harrisville Hotel". In 1973, it opened as the "El Dorado", "Harbor Lights" in 1981, and then "The Old Place Inn" in 1988.