GPS Location: N45° 00.919' W83° 18.238'
Depth: 10 Feet
Wreck Length: 185 Feet Beam: 25 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 543
Built: 1862 by Ira Lafrinier in Cleveland, Ohio
Wrecked: May 6, 1894
Description: Four huge barges were constructed in 1895 for the Lake Michigan Car Ferry Barge Company, to carry rail cars from Peshtigo, Wisconsin to Chicago. They were named simply No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4. In 1910, the Barge No. 1 was sold, subsequently operating out of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, carrying pulpwood and bulk freights. It ran onto a reef near Thunder Bay's North Point during a Fall storm, and began breaking up. Crates of live chickens from its cargo reportedly washed ashore on Thunder Bay Island, where they were recovered and subsequently eaten by lighthouse keepers and the U.S. Life Saving Station's crew.
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary: Enjoy diving the wrecks of Thunder Bay, but always respect the past. State and federal laws prohibit removing or disturbing artifacts. Future generations are depending on us to leave historic shipwrecks intact. Please take only pictures and leave only bubbles.
The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary maintains seasonal moorings at many shipwreck sites. Available from May to September, the moorings make for safer diving and also protect shipwrecks from anchor damage. Sanctuary regulations require vessels to use moorings when present.