|Wooden keelson structure and starboard side.|
GPS Location : N45° 06.326' W83° 13.077'
Depth: 30 Feet
Wreck Length: 173 Feet Beam: 39 Feet
Gross Tonnage: 604 Cargo: Coal
Launched: 1864 by C.W. Lent at Conneaut, Ohio
Wrecked: October 25, 1905
Description: The Ogarita was once a swift three-masted barkentine built for the competitive Lake Michigan grain trade of the 1860s. Long since converted to a lowly towbarge, the ship suffered a disastrous fire in its coal cargo and went down North of Thunder Bay Island. The crew all escaped safely. The wreck's bow, keelson, and sidewalls have all survived, although the stern is missing.
|Between frames showing hull planking and limber passage.|
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary: Enjoy diving the wrecks of Thunder Bay, but always respect the past. State and federal laws prohibit removing or disturbing artifacts. Future generations are depending on us to leave historic shipwrecks intact. Please take only pictures and leave only bubbles.
The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary maintains seasonal moorings at many shipwreck sites. Available from May to September, the moorings make for safer diving and also protect shipwrecks from anchor damage. Sanctuary regulations require vessels to use moorings when present.
To see a full listing of events in the Presque Isle County area, check out these great events calendars....
Want to submit an event in Presque Isle County?
Contact Presque Isle Events Manager